Friday, February 1, 2019

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming Book Blog Post #2


Before I began reading How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming, I truthfully had low expectations. I figured this book would contain very scientific concepts that would ultimately go directly over my head. However, my assumptions were quickly proven to be wrong in chapter one. So far, this book has given relatable insight into the life of an astronomer and has clearly explained difficult aspects of space I have never before thought about.

Mike Brown immediately established himself as a character I can relate to by talking about his obsession with Jupiter and how it constantly consumed his thoughts. Although not nearly as complex, I always seem to get distracted by different situations I come across at work that extend far into afterhours. Through this, he showed me why he would ultimately become consumed with the idea of the possibility of planets existing past Pluto in the Kuiper belt. I found it interesting how Brown set the stage for his revolutionizing discovery off of a simple hunch he had one night in a closed telescope dome. I liked how he acknowledged that he defied typical scientific processes by believing in his hunch rather than facts.

In Chapter two, Brown begins to recap the history of studying planets and how it still impacts the world today. For example, he explains how each day of the week is named after the planets and how those in pre-electric and pre-urban worlds were able to track the times of months and years off of the movement of the sun and moon. Through this, he lays the foundation for why any changes to our perception of our solar system have significance.

I find his story about the introduction of the theory about the sun being the center of the universe and not the earth to be foreshadowing to the events that will take place in the rest of this book. Many people get caught in the trap of thinking close minded and based on only what we know now. This story shows that although it is shocking, new discoveries can change our entire perception of the space around us. I also find this relatable on a much smaller scale. I know the feeling of having an incredibly unpopular opinion and ostracized by others because of it - even if I might be right.

I am very excited to continue reading this book. I remember distinctively when it came out that Pluto was no longer a planet. I am looking forward to hearing the perspective of the man who killed Pluto. I appreciate how this book is so informative but also keeps my attention. I am looking forward to diving deeper into Brown’s incredible story of scientific discovery and the drama associated with it.


6 comments:

  1. WHY DID SO MANY PEOPLE READ THIS BOOK!!! Astronomy seems whack. But I'm glad to hear that it has exceeded your expectations. What made you choose this?

    -Olivia Osborne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davis,

    I also read this book, and exactly like you, I had pretty low expectations, and for the very same reasons: a tendency to get too much into the details without trying to explain the concept to an average user. Both of us were surprised by Brown's ability to tell his story, and this perhaps tell us something about us: our assumptions are not always true, and we might in fact never know that they are wrong, unless we confirm them by research.

    Ghali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing.

    I have to agree when I first heard about this book as an option I didn't feel very inclined to read it. That being said, I am glad that you did and that it proved to be a good and interesting read.Good luck with the rest of your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davis,

    I was heavily debating reading this book and I'm glad the book offered you more than you expected. I was personally hesitant on reading it because I was worried it would be strictly astronomy focused and that I'd miss out on a story that offers a life lesson. I like that you were able to take away a deeper meaning and enjoy the book.

    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems really interesting. I'm glad that this book exceeded your expectations and was better than you thought it would be. It's great that you enjoy it so far and hopefully the rest of the book is just as entertaining. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! This book seems very interesting, I wish I read it. It's interesting to hear that Mike Brown is just like everyone else and gets distracted very easily even though he is a scientist at the highest level. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book!

    -Khalil

    ReplyDelete

World We Dare to Imagine Part 3: The HL Foundation

The HL Foundation: Sustainable Living for All Our mission is to be a leader in developing green living solutions through providing self-s...